Whatever the weather, sunscreen is an essential part of a daily skincare routine. Experts advise this should be your final step before adding make-up, and should be generously re-applied every two hours.
For full sun care all year-round, broad spectrum products shield skin from both UVA and UVB rays. That covers the ageing effects of sun exposure and potentially dangerous sun burn caused by both types of ray respectively.
Just like any other buy, the type of SPF you choose depends on your skin type. Those with sensitive skin can suffer with redness or irritation from certain ingredients and fragrances in SPF formulas.
But if you’re avoiding wearing a daily SPF for fear of it making your skin react or break out, we’re here to help. Whether you’re seeking a moisturising SPF or lightweight layer, we’ve got all face and body bases covered.
Read on for our top pick of the best SPFs for sensitive skin, across all price points.
How we tested
Our tester has sensitive skin, and the included SPFs are a list of favourites we’ve been using for years, as well as newer finds sampled over several weeks. We looked at texture, absorption rate and the skin finish they created. To make our list, all products had to offer broad spectrum sun protection too.
The best sunscreens for sensitive skin of 2022 are:
- Best sunscreen for sensitive skin overall – Murad city skin age defence broad spectrum sensitive skin SPF50: £62, Murad.co.uk
- Best sunscreen for the face and body – Paula’s Choice extra care non-greasy sunscreen broad spectrum sensitive skin SPF50: £23, Paulaschoice.co.uk
- Best for water resistant sun protection – Bondi Sands sunscreen lotion SPF50+ for sensitive skin: £6.99, Boots.com
- Best budget sunscreen for sensitive skin – Soltan sensitive skin lotion SPF30: £6.50, Boots.com
- Best lightweight sunscreen for sensitive skin – The Body Shop skin defence multi protection light essence SPF50, £22: Thebodyshop.com
- Best fragrance-free SPF – Ultrasun face sensitive skin SPF30: £22, Ultrasun.co.uk
- Best luxury sunscreen for sensitive skin – Eve Lom daily protection SPF50: £75, Evelom.co.uk
- Best for buildable coverage – Institut Esthederm adaptasun sensitive body lotion high sun protection: £48, Lookfantastic.com
- Best vegan-friendly SPF – Wild Science Lab root + fruit bright start SPF3 for sensitive skin : £39, Wildsciencelab.com
- Best sunscreen for dry skin – Green People scent free facial sun cream SPF30 for sensitive skin: £21, Hollandandbarrett.com
- Best sunscreen for acne-prone skin – ZitSticka megashade SPF50 serum for sensitive skin: £35, Beautybay.com
- Best sunscreen for wearing under make-up – Katherine Daniels daily DNA defence SPF30 for sensitive skin: £55, Katherinedanielscosmetics.com
- The Two Skin-Care Products Saving My Oily Skin
- 17 Skincare Makeup Hybrids That Pair Complexion and Skin-Friendly Benefits
- The Best Cetaphil Products For Acne, According To Dermatologists
- The Best Summer Skincare Products and Tips Recommended by Hollywood Beauty Experts
- Louise McSharry: the best products for menopausal skin